Monday, March 4, 2013

My History of Modern Thought Class 1st assignment


The importance of philosophy in my life starting when I was studying Philosophy of Science in 4th semester, that is like a bridge from my childhood mind to a college student analysis with a process to be more mature. First time I knew about philosophy is when I was about seven years old. This unrealized process started while I was thinking about my birth, asking myself who I am, and imagining where a “Great Maker” creating me is. Moreover, born in Christian family creates me to believe in Jesus as the answer of all questions and receive that sometimes I cannot reach something too far from my mind for human’s mind still have limit, no matter how smart or genius they are. Then, a few years later, I was in Junior High School and found some “interesting” books from three philosophers. Although I do not too remember about their stories, I still memorize their names: Aristotle, Plato, and Socrates. Finally, I become more interested in philosophy after studying in college. Therefore, I really like reading about philosophy, the important part of my life, even though it is hard to understand because it has many wise quotes or crafts that can motivate or enrich my life.
There are some reasons making philosophy becomes important in my life, such as help me to deeply consider about human thinking, to be wiser and careful while facing a problem, see a case in some different perspectives (holistic ways), learn to make a right conclusion and respect my life. Then those things support my faith in Christ even though I have ever heard that some people learning philosophy cannot keep their faith or being “atheist”. It is because she understands that no other philosopher greater than God itself creating His words in the greatest literature book (Bible). Moreover, I also remember a quote from one of the three philosophers, tells “A wise man is the man who knows that he or she does not know.” In my opinion, it means that a real wise and smart man is a person who is humble when he or she becomes smarter for he or she knows that everything meaningless without God.
Furthermore, I, as a student, feel the benefit by learning philosophy in order to improve my consideration about human thinking. For instance, I start to understand and learn some theories, thought or invention from some figures of philosophy such as Kahlil Gibran due to the fact that his creation has some similarities with Christian philosophy (In “The Prophet”). Hence, it is quite difficult to understand with my comprehension; however, I am still interesting in some literary crafts relating with philosophy. In brief, one of philosophy’s effect in my mind is to “push” my eagerness into positive thing (study, study, and study) in a connection in loving wisdom as philosophy’s meaning (philo=love and sophia=wisdom).
After that, the second advantage while learning philosophy is to help me being wiser and more careful while facing a problem. Moreover, in philosophy, I learn to see a case or incident in some different perspectives (holistic ways), so I can (little bit) handle my emotion and try to use other people “shoes” before judging either in mind or words. Understanding other people feeling and emotion helps me a lot to be wiser and thinking thoroughly (holistic) gives me a chance to correct my bad attitudes. In summary, I like philosophy for it motivates me to be better.
 The next advantage I get in philosophy is to learn how to make a right conclusion and respect my life. First, to make a right conclusion, I need faith, integrity, principle, and strong desire to choose the best decision. Then, with all I have learnt in philosophy, I believe it will minimize wrong decisions. Second, the (bible) philosophy also brings me into a thought that my life is worth, meant, and precious in God’s eyes, so if I want to have meaningful and successful life, I must “hang” on to Him. In short, it makes me respect my life and I determine to fill it with good and right philosophy bringing me live in God.
Therefore, I realize my life is precious by reading Holy Bible, the greatest philosophy book, making me loves philosophy so much and recognize that philosophy is a part of my life for its advantages helps me a lot to rise, forget my past, and run into His hands.

                

No comments:

Post a Comment