Friday, July 5, 2013

The Bus (A Short Story by Maria)


I made this story as a final assignment for Creative Writing Class. Sorry for some mistakes in grammar and spelling. I do not make a certain purpose for this story because I just wanna share my perspectives about life and religion (June 2013)

The Bus
Waiting for a bus, it takes so long for me. I do not know where to go, I do not know what to do. What I know is just to run, to run from all things happened in my life. Suicide? Perhaps it is not a good idea. I am just too afraid, maybe, too afraid of going to hell. Am I religious? Yes, I am! I am a good Christian, I go to church every Sunday and I pray even though it is not often at least when I wake up in the morning or if I want to eat. Yes, I do that. Do you believe me? But… uhmm… I do not think so. I just try to be good,  Is it wrong to be religious? Or feeling yourself as a religious person makes  you like those Pharisee filling with hypocrisy as told in the Bible? Beside, if I am a religious person, I will not think about doing suicide because it is not right no matter whether I have any a reason or not. Ahaa! I am going to be crazy with my questions about religion,  life and existentialism.
Crowded and noisy place cannot set me free from this madness. I don’t know where to start my new life, it seems neither too easy nor too hard. The bus is coming, the bus that will bring me back home. Whose home did I go? I do not have a house to go.  I do not have anything except my life and this breath. A ticket in my hand shows my destination, Nothing Hill, what a strange name same as what I have now, nothing. A place near the foot of the Barak Mountain, I’ve heard that this place is quiet, peaceful and beautiful, so I think it is suitable for me to be there. Then I get into the bus and take a seat in the corner, what a blessing day if I can feel this time forever. Being alone and seeing beautiful scenery during the trip. I have to use this quality time as well as possible. I don’t want to make a wrong decision anymore. I will stop it by myself and not let anyone to influence me and this self-pitied attitude should be removed from my life.
So, what will I tell you about myself? Nothing special from me that I can share to you. Well, it is so complicated that I do not know where to start. I am a foster child from a small village and my biological parents are so poor. They have five children, four girls and one boy, and I am the fifth. I had malnutrition during I was a baby because my parents cannot give me food and milk to supply my need of nutrition. When I was 18 month and tried to walk, I fell to a sewer because I was too thin. Suddenly, a beautiful and rich lady saw that and she was sorry for me. So, she decided to lift me as her daughter. As a baby I do not know anything and just live with a thought that she and her husband is my real parents. However, they told me the truth when my biological father was died. I do not know what I felt for I cannot receive the truth and my love as a daughter is for them not for my real parents.
Indeed, the situation is OK until I have to be separated from my parents for their broken marriage and try to stand on my own foot, not believe anyone, regret for my birth and keep bitterness in my heart. I learn how to take care of myself since on junior high school and I study alone without my Mom’s ( I mean my foster Mom) guidance as what I felt before. But I am so thankful that they teach me to be strong though I always cry when I remember them. They also teach me to not leave my faith, that faith which I question now. It’s not about religion but more in searching for identity. Too many changes I have since two years ago since I broke my promise to make them happy. Yeah, I did everything that I want without any consideration and of course, it makes them disappointed.
In my loneliness, I look so fragile and there’s no chance except I make a breakthrough in my life. After I graduated from college with bachelor degree, I work at Indonesian embassy in England and I have a lot of money, but it still can’t fill the emptiness inside me. I am depressed for being too independent. Huffst… perhaps you have confused with my story, but wait, it almost end… end… end… Uhmm… I am so sleepy now, I can’t continue my story…
Brakkk!!! A big sound shocks me and I wake up with a dizzy in my head. There is a strange atmosphere surrounding me and give me taste of freaking smell. I slouch to comfort myself and close my eyes and have no attention to what happened now. The bus goes slowly but.. what’s that? Is it just my dream? I open my eyes again. Uhmm.. who is beside me? I thought there’s no passenger beside me or perhaps I am too insensitive until I don’t realize a person that will become my “friend” during this trip.
Hi, what’s your name?” I ask her while giving my best smile so she can understand my goodwill.
Hi too, I’m Magda, and you?” she said
I’m Nada, nice to meet you.” I answer and we shake hands but her hands… so cold, it’s freaking me.

This woman and the atmosphere scares me, I want to go out from this bus but I cannot do anything. I stick at my seat and my body is stiff. I close my eyes, gosh! I see her eyes and I can read her mind, her life and her future. The woman is forty-three years old and she is alone, just like me. She is separated from her family because of a poverty. She lives like a beggar, but with her beauty she can seduce men to give her what she wants. She has everything except her life itself. She is tired with her sins and emptiness in her heart. Actually, this situation is not what she wishes because she just misses someone or family that can understand him. However, it is hard for her to stop walking in the wrong paths until one day an accident happened in her life. She becomes paralyzed and just stays at home. In this situation, her money means nothing for her because it, slowly but sure, runs out. At the hospital, someone tells her about the goodness of the God she has left since she was young. Now, she finds her life and hope in faith that along her life she never had it. Nothing. There’s nothing she wants except to share the goodness she received and it makes her life means for others until her death. She joins in social activities about woman and marries a good man that can accept her past life and love her as she is. They have no children, but they are happy. She stands secure in the rest of her life.
Magda, where are you?” I wake up. Confused with all that happened. She is not here, even the bus even left yet.
Excuse me, Miss, would you mind showing your ticket?” The bus attendant approaches me.
“Uhmm… sorry, I feel asleep.” I search for my ticket and see what is written there, the destination is so different from what I mean.
Sorry Sir, I think I bought wrong ticket because I wanna go to Nothing Hill in Barak Mountain,. Please tell me where can I get the ticket for that destination?” I’m little panic because this bus almost go.
Miss, there’s no place named that. Perhaps you may go to Notting Hill in London. Are you sure, Miss?” The bus attendant seems confused and also I. However, I still continue to describe a place where I go, especially about the view and Barak Mountain. The bus attendant still do not know where the place is, so I go out of from the bus and ask some people. They still do not know. How can I be so sure of an advertisement in a newspapers before check it first. Am I crazy? Am I dreaming?
Two days later…
A calling from my boss starting my new day after that strange event. He tells me that I have to go to office because there is a farewell due to his movement to another country. He invites all of his staff to say goodbye plus to introduce my new boss.  I dress perfectly and put some make-up so people won’t know my confusion in a few days. I regret all my decisions and thoughts about doubting God and willing to die. I mean that, there are many people who has harder life than me, but still struggling and finally find the ways to be happy. I also learn from Magda’s life, whoever she is, that there is still hope no matter how dirty you are as long as we go through and forget the past.
I pray and give thank to God for this experience and promise to myself to still believe Him and make my life means for others. I enter my office with smile and greet everybody I meet. Then, my boss calls me to introduce my new boss.
Nada, let me introduce Mrs. Magdalena Pieters, your new boss. She is from Indonesia, same like you. I assume you two will be match and can be a good teamwork” My boss says.
The woman smiles to me and it’s frightened me because I thought she was paralyzed and died.
I am Nada. Nice to meet you. Uhhm… by the way, Mrs. Magda, have we ever met before?’’ I ask her and shake her hand.
Nice to meet you too. I thought I saw you in my dream, but I am not so sure about that.” She smiles and shakes my hand, it is not cold and I feel the warm of human life. This experience like a paradoxical time that I never felt before. The place, the woman, the telepathy ability. Since that day, I don’t feel a kind of strange situation like that anymore. What I know Mrs. Magda, my boss, has some similarities with Mrs. Magda that I met at the bus. For example, she had been paralyzed and she has no children. However, I don’t ask further about her life because it is not impolite.
Life, I have an answer for all questions you gave to me. There are hopes and mean in you.


Maria Kristina Pingkan-1021150015

No comments:

Post a Comment